Call us: +1.888.477.4258
Tax problems solved.
No matter where in the world you are.

Common tax myths about Americans living overseas

by: Claudine Gindel   2017-10-31

We're once again joined by Keith Redmond - American Overseas Global Advocate, to speak on common myths about Americans living overseas.


Attorney Anthony E. Parent and Keith Redmond discuss the following issues:


  • How tax issues for Homeland Americans differ from Americans living overseas
  • If the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion allows $100,000 USD income to be "tax-free"
  • If the US tax treaties eliminate double taxation
  • Are Americans living overseas are renouncing because they simply don't want to pay taxes?
  • Do Accidental Americans HAVE TO enter the US tax compliance system?
  • Will the IRS come after you in your country of residence and block your bank accounts if you aren't compliant with the US tax code?
  • If you are not US tax compliant, will you be treated as a criminal...and will the IRS will put you in jail?
  • If you are not US tax compliant, can you renew your US passport? 
  • can be arrested at the border when entering the United States if you're not compliant with the US tax code?
  • You are an American living overseas and are compliant with the US tax code. Does this mean that the Marines “have to” come rescue you in the case of a national emergency?


If you're unsure of how to proceed with your situation, feel free to reach out us to schedule a consultation or find Keith's Facebook page here. 

Related articles

FBAR Filing Requirements: Alienating US Expatriates
Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act: What Does FATCA Do?
Foreign Interest Reporting Forms: File To Avoid Steep Penalties
Foreign Life Insurance: Taxable Income? FBAR reportable?
IRS Expatriation Tax
© 2021 Parent and Parent LLP All rights reserved.
Parent and Parent LLP, 144 South Main Street, Wallingford, CT 06492,
Tel. +1.888.477.4258, Fax +
IRS Medic: Parent & Parent, LLP
144 South Main Street Wallingford, CT 06492
Phone: (203) 269-6699